Saturday, September 10, 2011

Shove It

1.) Write about a time you shoved someone were shoved.


I can't recall ever actually shoving someone, so I'm changing the writing prompt. Hah.

I have a little sister who I affectionately call "Piglet." My mother calls me Pooh Bear, and so sister has become Piglet. She's 22, and due to a febrile seizure at the age of 16 months followed by a severe concussion at the age of 8, she's intellectually disabled. Piglet is MUCH taller than I am (5'9'' at least, and now weighs over 350). She's a big girl, and doesn't know her own strength. Shadow (my cat that she has staked a claim on) is a saint because Piglet schleps her around like a sack of potatoes. Think of Elmira from Looney Tunes.

Anyway, the day before eighth grade, Piglet and I got into a fight over something. And started fighting in the kitchen. As most women with sisters know, brothers are not the only ones that get into nasty, physical fights. At the height of the fight, Piglet, who was about my height even though she was in the fourth grade, shoved me.  I staggered backwards, expecting to land into the wall behind me. However I kept falling, like Alice down the rabbit hole, tumbling down the cellar stairs before landing on the concrete at the bottom. By some miracle, I didn't break my neck. But on the first day of eighth grade, I got to sport an awesome black eye.


I haven't attempted to get into a fist fight with Piglet since. I keep my sisterly torture reserved to verbal insults or annoying pokes now. And if she feels the need to clobber me, I have the good sense to take it without defending myself, lest I ended up going for another ride down the cellar stairs.


Check out more writing prompts at Mama's Losin' It! 

2 comments:

Teacher Girl said...

Ouch! My little step-sister who is three years younger than me was (and stil is) always physically bigger than me too. I always kept away from her when things threatened to get physical.

Oddyssey said...

Yikes! Must have been scary to expect to stop against the wall and have nothing there! I've fallen down the stairs to the cement bottom as well, so I know how freaky it can be. Glad you came out of it ok. Stopping by from Mama Kat's. Good post, thanks for sharing. (the gray font was a little difficult to read, however. Just an observation.) Love the nicknames for you and your sister! :o)