Friday, February 12, 2010

Surviving Singles Awareness Day

There is no other yearly holiday that I can think of that draws more attention to the fact that you are single than Valentine's Day. From the fact that all those "coupled up" become unreachable via text, fields of flowers delivered to seemingly everyone in your workplace, and the sudden appearance of red and pink heart cut outs, Valentine's Day is a day that is hard to miss.

While I'm not single this Valentine's Day, I will be alone since Apache is currently on his way to the 'Ghan and has not been able to contact me since leaving Wednesday night. Instead of wallowing in self-pity and selfishly wondering if he thought about sending me flowers on Valentine's Day, I'm going to go out with a friend, Country, who has recently broken things off with her long-term boyfriend. We decided on a day of pampering-- complete with tanning, manicures, though getting my hair "did" is reserved for Wednesday when I will be going back to blond-- since today was payday and I've been neglecting my pampering in the interest of saving money!

Since Monday is the official beginning to my week-long school vacation, I think we're going to go out line dancing to complete the night. I know that she was feeling kinda crummy since her ex suddenly has a Valentine's Day date (which he publicly announced via Facebook) so she might appreciate the company. In the week since the break up, she also has been bombared with offers, which flatters her, but I know she's not ready for a date. Spending quality time with friends seems like the perfect time!

So, all you single ladies (and gents) out there, what are you doing to fight back against Singles Appreciation Day?

3 comments:

michelle said...

i miss anti-vday parties with my college friends. this year, i think im going to open a bottle of wine (or champagne) and watch every action movie i can get my hands on from sunup to sundown :)

enjoy the pampering. spending time with friends is just as awesome as spending time with a significant other

Cammy said...

Your day sounds like it will be awesome! Did I read correctly that you have a week off from work? I am seriously jealous of that!

Aurora said...

Yup, I have a week off from school for February break! You guys don't get that in FL?