Saturday, January 9, 2010

Energized

Lesley University's graduate residency is heavenly. Like seriously, I walk in here and literally hear "The Hallelujah Chorus" because I suddenly am surrounded by people who think, read, and write like me. It is, as Robert Frost says in "Directive,"Here are your waters and your watering place./Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."

I will have very little time to write this week though you will find I probably will become more prolific in the weeks ahead. Though we have only done one writing exercise, this community charges me with it's energy. I can't wait to put pen to paper, fingers to keys in a fervor I haven't felt in years. I am making it my goal to develop my voice and persona for the memoir I'm writing-- and I feel like this blog is where I develop that voice--a character that is me, but not totally.

I want to ask those readers out there for suggestions of books that I can read--memoirists and essayists that write about similar topics, though in different ways and perspectives that I can read, imitate, and learn from to add breadth to my writing. I need to put together a study plan for the next semester and am charged in supplying some of my own reading.

Any suggestions?

2 comments:

Sara Strand said...

Seriously? My favorite authors/memoirists, etc would be Jen Lancaster and David Sedaris. Love them both immensely because they should have been my mom and dad. Except he's gay. But whatevs. Because the two of them would have produced me as a child. Which makes me think maybe I'm adopted. :) LOL!

Anonymous said...

Your masters program sounds awesome! Mine is so lame, lame, lame :(

I just recently got into reading non-ficiton. I like Sloane Crosley a lot. I'll let you know if I find anymore cuz I have a huge list of them saved in my Amazon cart.