Thursday, September 17, 2009

I learned about teaching in the aisles of Staples

There is great article published by the National Writing Project entitled Everything I Know About Teaching Language Arts I Learned at the Office Supply Store. The author, Kathleen O'Shaughnassy, is both funny and practical as she gives tips on helping students to learn using the most common office supplies. I love the article and have even used some of her tips.

I would like to add one of my own, Magnetic Tape strips. I use these babies for everything. I blew up a list of my students vocabulary list, printed it out, and cut them individually. I then affixed them to the white board at the back of my room, that I never use for obvious reasons to form a vocabulary wall that can be added to as my students learn new words. Most teachers know that tape and other such things do not work well on white boards. I also used printed out our schedule in the same manner, which can be easily rotated to accomodate the changing dates. There are a million other uses too. Best of all, it was 0.99 for 18 adhesive strips (.5 in x 4 in) at Walmart. Score!

By way of a disclaimer, I am not recieving any compensation for this tip. I simply wanted to share it with fellow teachers who read this blog in the hopes that they too can be awed by the sheer awesomness that is magnets. No, seriously.
I have weigh in today (cue Jaws theme song) though I am making a pit stop at the store to pick up a pregnancy test. My period was really light month, and kinda brown. My period is usually pretty light (so light I don't even need a tampon), so I'm probably overreacting, and I'll kick myself later for wasting the money, but I need to stop the worry warts bouncing around in my brain. I'll letcha know.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just read the article you linked to and I loved it so much that I sent it to my whole department! I am getting some magnet strips this weekend for sure! Those things look awesome.

Twinsie said...

I'm sure if Brent has read this, he was tickled pink to hear about your menstrual status, my dear twinsie ;)