Thursday, September 17, 2009

I'd give anything...

Before I begin the meat of my post, I want to let everyone know that I lost 3 lbs! I celebrated by sharing a piece of baklava with my mom. 

I eat lunch every day with a collection of teacher assistants. I do this for two reasons. 1) the 8th grade team, with which I am close with, eats lunch after me. 2) I cannot stand the seventh grade team, that has lunch the same time as me.  One of the teacher assistants, Jo, spent lunch complaining about how insensitive and annoying her long term boyfriend is. As in, "he gets home at 3:30 and I get home at 7, and he asks what's for dinner! Couldn't he have made dinner while I was away?" and other things of that nature. Don't get me wrong, I can understand how totally frustrating it is. The other TAs bemoaned their husbands' collective ineptness.

I kept quiet through most of it. Only two of the TAs I consider "friends" and am wary of the rumor mill small school I teach in. My lunch group knows that Trevor and I had broken up, knew about Jay, and that we were no longer together. I never mentioned exactly how much I miss him-- other than my parents and his family, few people know that I want him home.  Part of the reason we broke up is that everyone in town it seemed had to put their input in about our relationship, whether we were friends with them or not. I do not want to listen to lectures about how much they disliked Trevor.

It wasn't all of Trevor's fault that they didn't like him. My town, like most small mill villages in Connecticut, consists of people, who like their fathers and fathers' fathers, are born, live, and die in the same town. With only one elementary, middle, and high school in town, you literally grow up together. The same friends you have as a child are usually your friends in adulthood. It makes people wary of outsiders. Trevor wasn't from the town, CT, or even from a small town. That made him an outsider, which almost ostracizes you from the "good ol' boys club" down at the fire house. Another thing that didn't help was that several of the firefighters had their eyes on me, and I had been talking to a few of them when Trevor and I met. Trevor also talked a lot and had tall tales to tell, I think, in part, to impress his new friends.

As these women bemoaned their husbands' mild cases of forgetfullness, messiness, and lack of consideration, I couldn't help but wish how I could be right there with them, affectionately complaining about my pet peeves with Trevor. At a lull in the conversation, I interjected, "It's funny, I would willingly accept his faults if it meant that Trevor would come back. You ladies don't know how lucky you are." The table grew quiet after that. It wasn't my intention to chastize them, just to let them know how lucky they are they have husbands that love them. I would give anything to have my "husband" home.

I'd give anything to have the collection of Mt. Dew cans on his nightable, to be able to wash his dishes, and take out the trash when he forgets. I'd give anything to drive by the fire house on my way home from work, see his car in the FD driveway, and catch him smoking a cigarette out back because he doesn't want to upset me. I'd give anything to work two jobs if it living in our own home. I'd give anything to be woken up at 3 am by kisses on the neck because he wanted lovin' even though he rejected my earlier advances because the game was on. I'd give anything to constantly be paying off a Frederick's bill so I could surprise him after a hard week at work. I'd give anything to be able to have to buy clothes, boxers, and tank tops for him. I'd give anything to wake up to pizza crumbs in the bed because he ordered out while watching hockey on the humongous plasma tv screen that he insisted hang in our bedroom. I'd give anything to lay on his chest at night and smell his distinctive aroma of sweat, cigarettes, and dirt. I'd give anything to playfully fight with him and make up after. I'd give anything to have to pick up his dirty clothes that he dropped next to the hamper.

I'd give anything to have him back, even if that means putting up with the little things that annoy me. For all the things that he does wrong, he put up with my moods, supported me in good times and in bad, loved my animals because they were ours, loved me beyond compare, let me know that I was his world, and was my best friend through it all. Without him, I feel like a ship that has lost its anchor and is slowly drifting from port to port, hoping to find the same easy comfort, support, and affection as before.

I'd give anything to have him home.

The hardest arithmetic to master is that which enables us to count our blessings- Eric Hoffer

6 comments:

Sara Strand said...

Wow- I wish I could give you a hug right now. I know EXACTLY how you feel- I've been there. Unfortunately, I'm married to Matt, but he isn't the same Matt. I want my old Matt back, the normal one, the one who I really loved being with, and looked forward to spending the entire weekend with. It's just not going to happen to me, and I'm trying to work that out.

But what if you just called Trevor and told him you want to meet with him. Somewhere private, but kind of public (quiet restaurant??) and lay it out for him. That way, if he felt the same- then you would know. And if he didn't- then you would know. And maybe knowing for sure either way it would help you move on, or get to be where you need to be. And knowing that I got married at 23 to Matt, and we have two children under 4 (I'm 28 now), I know what it's like to live beyond your means. You just really need to hit rock bottom before you change. We know- we're still struggling after our bankruptcy. It's awful, but doable. Hang in there!!

Aurora said...

Trevor has a girlfriend, who he started dating while I was with Jay. When they break up, and his sister assured me that they will, I am planning to myspace message him (calling him is kinda messy since he doesn't have his own cell phone and his step dad is an asshole-- i don't want to talk to him on the phone.) There are plenty of people (his aunt, uncle, and sisters) who would be willing to give him a message for me.

hang in there sister!

Eryn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Eryn said...

I don't understand the missing someone part since I haven't had a someone in like ever but I definitley understand what its like when everyones talking about the s/o and u dont have one..its hard but its great that your able to look at it so positively

Edited to add: I just started weight watchers about a month and a half ago and congrats on the 3 pound loss, i know how awesome that can feel

Twinsie said...

Hang in there Twinsie :( Are you still coming up this weekend? I'm free Saturday night if you want to get together in the Leo/Fitch area-or even up my way. Ben's going to Boston for the weekend so it'll just be me and the fur babies at home :)

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel, I've been there too. Even though I have DD, I often get really, really sad because most of my friends are married. I want a husband, I want to be married, I want a family.

DD is no where near ready to get married and that is just something I have to accept.

It is obvious that you have a lot of love for Trevor and I am a firm believer in that if it is meant to happen it will. Hang in there and just be grateful for the freedom of only having to care for yourself for awhile.