Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The Road Less Traveled

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood
And sorry I could not travel both...- Robert Frost "The Road Less Traveled"
 
Like all English majors, I have a few poems and books that I feel that I could have written because they echo the feelings in my heart.  I return to Frost's poem every time there is a divergence in my life, where I have to ponder which road to take, and the implications of both. I'm at fork in the road right now, looking down the paths of two lives that I could easily lead. One leads me to attend Lesley University's MFA in Creative Writing program. I found out Friday afternoon that I had been accepted. The other is an online MEd program at the University of New England in Literacy.
 
There are merits to both programs. Learning about Literacy would directly help me in my classroom experience by introducing me to strategies I could use to help struggling readers. It might open more doors for me in this district to advance to a full-time Language Arts position. However, it is not where my heart is. I am interested in it only because of its affordability, easiness, usefulness, and the fact that two of my other friends are attending the same program.
 
The MFA program offers me the opportunity to work on my own writing, which I neglect in favor of responsibilities, and the promise that I could teach college Creative Writing classes. The MFA is where my heart is, though it is going to be a lot of work, and a bit more money than the other program. All told though, both programs are going to be be less than a year at Assumption. If I have to take a loan out for that much, it is not going to be as much of a burden. The MFA is the "road less traveled" for me. I know of no one who went to Lesley's MFA program, though I have several relatives who attended there for MEds. As part of thier interdiscplinary component, I can also take Education courses to satisify my MFA requirements.

I've decided to do the MFA program. As I told a friend last evening, its time I start riding with my seat, allowing my true feelings and forces of nature to navigate the direction of my life, and accepting that change, rather than jerking on the reins all the time to force my life back onto a path it would rather not go. Had I done that in March, when Trevor came back to me, I would still be with him. Instead, I was scared, unsure, and selfish...I wanted both worlds. Instead, I lost them both. The MFA program is what I want to do, and I'm disregarding everyone else's opinion in order to stride convidently down the path that is "grassy and wanted wear." Like Frost, I know that I can keep "the first for another day!/Yet, knowing how way leads onto way/I doubt I should ever come back."

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it is awesome that you are doing what you want to. Follow your dreams! I think the program will make you very happy :)