Monday, November 2, 2009

Curling Iron Inept


I've decided to participate in National Blog Posting month as a way to increase my creativity as I work on compiling my large and small group manuscripts for grad school. As a way of forcing me out of my comfort zone, I'm going to restrict talks about relationships to a bare minimum, though I will keep you abreast of developments with Doc.

My post for this Monday is on a rather embarassing, little known fact about me:

I am completely inept when it comes to curling my hair

I have long, wavy blond-brown hair that I love wearing in different styles. On a daily basis, I rock buns, pony tails, straightened hair, and pig tails. I would LOVE to be able to wear my hair in curls a la Taylor Swift or a Cosmopolitian cover

My hair curls-- I do not. I've tried hot rollers, curling irons, and flat irons. All I get is one big, hot mess. I can't seem to curl it evenly, get the curls to stay, or seperate my straight hair from my curly hair.

I've even watched multiple tutorials on how to do it.

In preparation for Halloween's beer wench costume, I watched the below tutorial.



After a few tries, I mastered the technique. I was getting the cute little ring curls. Then I had technical difficulties. My 1 inch straightening iron (a cheapie from Tj Maxx since I use the 1 1/2" more often) started  to stick-- ceramic plates my ass. My hair kept getting stuck as I pulled the iron through, definitley not good for even heating.

Once some money comes in (paid my last rent check today-- yay!), I'll buy a 1" Chi iron (I have the 1 1/2" one) and try again.

I tried to finish the style with a curling iron. An hour later, I called my grandmother for help. She's 80 and cannot hear very well. As she finished my top layer, she pressed the curling iron into my forehead. I started screaming, she pressed down harder until she figured out what was going on.

The result-- a very nasty burn on my forehead. It resembles a giant hickey. wonderful.

Anyone else have hair issues?


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have insanely tight curls that will do nothing but stay that way, or be really frizzy and turn into an afro :(