Thursday, November 5, 2009

I fought the law and I won

I'm away from my computer attending the Connecticut Reading Association's annual conference. Very excited about it because the school is sending me for two days, which is significant because it seems to suggest that the school thinks of me as a Language Arts teacher, and not just the Technology teacher. :-)

I've written this at 9:05 pm on Wednesday night. I'm waiting for Doc to arrive at my apartment-- we are having out first night in/sleep over to say farewell to my apartment. However, Doc's windshield broken by a projectile falling off another car on his way out of Boston, so he's a little late. Luckily, he's okay. The Saab-- not so much. 

I went today to court to fight the speeding ticket I received in the middle of August. I planned my defense very carefully. I printed out a map of the area and marked my route using a highlighter. Then, I drove the route, marking down where all the speed limit signs are. Just as I thought, the speed limit was not 25 mph until well after where he caught me.

Armed with this visual aid, I drove to the courthouse. After paying my $25 in court appeal fees, I met with the magistrate. A representative from the police department was there. As I pled my case, the officer started laughing. The magistrate turned to him and asked if he could refute any of what I said. The officer threw his hands in the air, shook his head, and said, "nope, she's right!"

yes.....

So, the magistrate found me not responsible so I do not have to pay the fine and it will not go on my record.

As I left the courtroom, the officer shook my hand and said, "I feel sorry for your students who try to argue their way out of a detention. Have you ever considered a career in law?"

2 comments:

michelle said...

that is the BEST thing i've ever heard! lol congrats on the smart strategy :)

Sara Strand said...

Fry the pigs, honey! :) HAHA!!