Friday, November 20, 2009

Dawson to my Joey




So, I have this friend who I'm going to call "Dawson" for the purposes of this blog. Dawson and I are friends. Best friends. Beyond that though, we are soul mates. We met when he started dating my best friend at the time (RedHeaded Slut), and when we met we instantly recognized each other as kindred spirits. We've been there for each other through good times (college graduations, triumphs) and the bad (breakups of serious relationships and flings). We've even tried dating once or twice. It makes sense, right? Shouldn't you marry your best friend? For us though, it's never been the right time. We've always turned to each other in times of need. The problem is, like Joey says in Season 5 of Dawson's Creek, ""...how do I know I'm not just this security blanket for you? Something you'll keep coming back to when the world gets scary?".

I'm okay being his emotional security blanket. I'm okay with being there offering him advice and helping him pick up the pieces when it all falls apart. God knows he's done the same for me. It was Dawson who threw his credit card down at the bar, didn't bother to wait for it to be run, and  charged out of the door to come rescue me when I sat at the end of my dock, contemplating downing a bottle of pills because the pain of losing Trevor, Jay, and the baby was too much to bear.

He did it again last night when I drove an hour to hang with DogFace's husband,and was there for an hour, before DogFace "summoned" him to go to the premiere of New Moon with her (I know Jay wouldn't be caught dead there). Slightly upset, I called Dawson and showed up at his house with McDonald's milkshakes and french fries (his favorite). We watched Click and I snuggled up in bed with him to spend the night. Even though we've had history, it's easy to forget that. I'm comfortable telling him I love him, and know that he loves me back, and that's it's completely okay with this relationship we have together.

I'm grateful to have such a great best friend.

**update**

Doc & I are perfectly fine. After writing that blog post, I sent him a text message asking him what was going on ... his response was that he's still sick, heavily medicated, but would never break up with me. We've briefly talked every day. He's still in Boston, staying with his friend's parents, so he's near to the hospital in case of an emergency. He tells me that he misses me and can't wait to see me soon.

So, I'm paranoid. and life is good.

0 comments: