Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Broken Glass

When I was a child, my Memere had a candy dish that once belonged to her grandmother. Made of beautiful Beleek China, the candy dish adorned the table at parties and holidays. One day when I was a young teenager, Memere dropped the candy dish after she lovingly washed it. This piece of china, with its tiny, hand painted shamrocks, had survived the trip to America aboard a steamer from Ireland. Now, in America, it lay in tiny, shattered pieces across the floor.

Memere didn't try to pick the pieces up and glue them back together, even though the whole held so many memories for her. She knew, as we should know, that once it's broken it's always going to be broken, and it's better to accept that than to hurt yourself trying to piece it back together.

It's the same with relationships. Why do people insist on holding onto relationships that are not just cracked, but broken. Is it out of nostaliga or a longing for the once perfect past? Is it a fear of being alone? Is it out of guilt that we somehow had a hand in their undoing?

I'm dealing with this with Apache now. He is at a very confused place in his life. DogFace has him fully convinced, it seems that he is to blame for her infidelity, because he left her alone to go to boot camp. She also has convinced him that Jay, who she is living with as his girlfriend, deserves just as much blame. So Apache lives in this state of pereptual guilt, both fully believing that he is to blame, and also recognizing how incredibly illogical this guilt is, which makes him feel even worse about himself because he can't seem to rip himself away. He talks about taking revenge on Jay when he comes home-- about making him pay for all the pain he has caused. Yet, he can't doesn't want to make DogFace atone for her sins, by cutting her off and divorcing her. Yes, you read that right, Apache has not yet filed for divorce, and refuses to even think about such a thing while he's on deployment because he feels he has too much to deal with in country. He knows he has to make a decision, and since meeting me, his decision is complicated. When we first met, he was saying he was going back to her no matter what. Now, at least, he's doubting if he can trust her again (ugh, no!) and if he should be with me. His decision is no longer clear.

And DogFace is a master manipulator. Here she is, living with Jay, and parading around at his girlfriend. The only people that do not know about her new relationship are her family, who live in Utah. Her Facebook (because of her Mom) still says she's married. There are NO pictures of her and Apache on there, though, and there are some of her and Jay. Yet, she tells C that she is not sure what she wants. That she still loves him. That she still thinks about growing old with him. Yet, she's telling Jay the SAME THING.

And he's with me. He calls me his girl to his buddies and they know details about me. I've met his parents, sister, and extended family. He texts me non stop when he can. He talks about a future with me, about what it would be like to do all these things together both when he comes home on leave and when he comes home for good.

I know you all think I'm pretty stupid for sticking around in this situation. And I'm not going to argue with you. The thing is though, other than this situation, it feels pretty damn perfect. I love him, especially for this situation because I wish that someone (Trevor) would have fought that hard for me a year ago, and he loves me too. He's not the type of person to say something he does not mean, so I am not doubting him on his feelings there. I love his family, who are amazingly normal and wonderful to have in my life. I love how he supports me. I love how much fun we have together. I love how I am a stronger person because of him. If you asked me a year ago, if I could have handled dating someone who is not only on the other side of the world, but is in the line of fire, I would have laughed in your face. Solitude is never something that I am good at. For Apache, though, I'm willing to wait however long it takes to be with him.

Do I walk away? Right now, I'm saying no. All that shows him is what he already thinks. That being with him is too difficult. But I am not selfish, and I am a figher till the last bell sounds my victory or defeat. Maybe this will shatter in my hands, I'll end up cut-- but at least I'll have the memories.



3 comments:

E said...

Oh wow. I'm so sorry your having to go thru this! As if deployment was hard enough already!

Dogface is inconsiderate for one! To say its his fault for going to boot camp??!! Please. That is the lamest excuse I have ever heard. She just doesn't want to take blame for her actions. And the fact she is living with a "boyfriend" just shows how insecure she really is. She can't be alone. So if he did go back to her I would bet 100 bucks she would do the same thing again. She would never last threw a deployment and when she cheated on him AGAIN she would try and blame him for being deployed. As if he really has an option.

I don't think your stupid. You know what you want and your not afraid to fight for it! I applaud you on that. The best things in life don't come easy.

Just be supportive and try to calm the situation down as much as you can. Apache has enough to deal with in country without having to worry about her and her self created drama! Take the high road and don't stoop to her level. He'll make the right decision.

Sorry for the long comment but reading that really made me mad at Dogface! lol

Aurora said...

E: I totally agree with her not being able to stand alone on her own two feet. And yea, there is a possibility of other deployments. It would never, ever last.

Thank you for not thinking I'm stupid. Trust me, if it were anyone but him I woulda walked away a long time ago. I am totally not afraid to fight for him!

I am totally taking the high road and not stooping to her level by abandoning him because things get hard. I'm totally not bashing her to him (thats what this blog is for) though I do tell him he deserves MUCH better than the shit she's bringing. And I also show him by treating him like a king-which is how I am when I'm in a relationship. There might not be an argument, but in the show, not tell style of writing, I'm coming out on top.

E said...

I agree I think you are handling the situation really good! Just keep doing what your doing and hang in there ;)