Sunday, March 14, 2010

I left Ken for GI Joe


"Shit, gotta go, getting spun up, I love you. I'll email you later, baby," Apache typed.

"I love you too. Be Safe." I typed back, blowing him a kiss as he shut of the web cam.

"Don't worry. I'll be fine. later baby."

Saturday began in a rather idyllic fashion. I woke up to some texts from Apache, who was online. We FINALLY got our web cam to work and got to chat for a few hours like that. Being able to see his face makes me feel so much better, and it is hysterical to listen to the guys goof off in the background. On the plus side, it's mad cute to hear Apache told the guys about something funny "his girl said". It makes me feel really secure to know that the boys know about me-- they even know details, like I'm a teacher and I have a horse. Apache's closest buddy, MB, even calls me "the future wifey." LMAO.

Apache was on QRF duty-- QRF stands for Quick Reactive Force. In essence, he and his crew are back up in case a mission encounters problems.

He's gotten "spun up"-- sent out on missions-- before and returned home without making any contact with the natives. So, I didn't think much of it and got dressed, took care of Magic, and went shopping at Target for the rest of the things to include in his birthday box.

A few hours later, I got an email from him, "We're back. Contact Made" and my blood ran cold.

I mean, I knew that it would happen. He's not on a vacation in Afghanistan. He's cautioned me against asking too many questions that I dont really wanna know the answers to.

Before dating Apache, I was pacifist. Not for the war, but not against the soldiers that are fighting it since I know so many of them who joined to make a better lives for themselves. And dating Apache has cemented a very strong belief in me. I don't care what he has to do as long as he comes home safe.... I hold NOTHING he does over there against him.

The idea that he's in harms way scares me more than the idea of him going back to DogFace. I could pretend that he was on vacation as long as his QRFs came and went without incident. Now,I feel like there's a perpetual lump in my throat and I can't quite catch my breath. Since he sleeps during what is my afternoon, I spend that time worrying about him.  Thank God for the miracle of Internet and cell phones, cause if I had to wait weeks between letters, I would be a hot mess.

I wonder if Apache knew it would be like this and that's why he introduced me to his family. Being able to email his sister, aunt, mom, and dad really help. His sister even is a devout reader of this blog (*waves*) and you can thank her for the many updates lately cause she is constantly reminding me to update!

Seriously considering starting Wellbutrin again since I've always had a problem with anxiety. I weaned myself off of it this winter since I'm a bit of a purist about what goes in my body. The only reason I take birth control is because, according to my doctor, my cervix is too tight for it to be properly inserted. Trust me, I've tried three times after the pregnancy.

My heart is deployed, and I want it back...


7 comments:

Miss.C said...

You have an amazing flair for writing, this post kinda hit close to home.. I myself face these things daily with my own boyfriend. Stay strong, soldier on right? :) I'm here if ya need anyone to talk too!
-KC

Eryn said...

I know this must be hard for you but I'm glad you're staying strong. I recently tried wellbutrin, along with who knows how many other things, didnt seem to do it for me though unfortunatley. Sorry to be nosy but what couldnt they insert, an iud? Ive kinda wished i could get one but after some of the things ive heard im kinda glad i didnt/ was advised against that root.

Cammy said...

Oh you poor thing. I went through a similar experience when my high school boyfriend deployed right after graduation. We ended up breaking up, unrelated to him being away, but it was still hard to know he was there. I will be praying for you both!

Aurora said...

@Acacia- welcome to my blog and thank you for the compliments. Apache and I are only a two months into his actual deployment (three months since he left home), so this is totally new to me! I'm here if you wanna talk too!

@Riley-- I loved Wellbutrin, but just hate being on medicine, y'know. And yea I couldnt have an IUD. They tried inserting one two or three times, and my cevix was so tight that it didnt work.

@Cammy--Thanks hun! I appreciate your prayers!

E said...

Oh I so feel your pain and know what your going thru!! If you ever need to talk I'm here for you. How long has Apache been deployed?

Also what branch is he in?

E said...

Sorry I read after the comment that you said he's been deployed two months! How long will he be gone?

Aurora said...

@E- Apache is in the Army. Thank you for the support! He comes home on April 22 for his leave, and then comes home at the end of November. I'm here for you too!